Gasoline Safety Tips
Most gasoline injuries are preventable if gas is properly used and safely stored. Here are some helpful gasoline safety tips from Safety Centre that you can use to train your employees to handle gas with care:
- Don’t smoke or use matches, lighters, or other ignition sources anywhere around gas. And remember that gas vapors can travel far from gas containers in enclosed areas.
- Use gasoline only in well-ventilated areas.
- Turn off equipment and let cool before filling the gas tank.
- Never use gasoline to start charcoal on a grill-use proper charcoal starter.
- Never use gas as a cleaning fluid or solvent—or to clean your hands.
- Don’t store gas cans in your vehicle.
- Store gas in approved containers, in a cool, well-ventilated area (for example, in a shed or garage but never in the house), and only keep a minimum amount on hand.
- Never use glass or plastic bottles for gasoline storage
Even Breathing Gas Fumes Can Be Harmful
Gasoline can also be a health hazard if you inhale concentrated fumes for too long or get it on your skin. Symptoms of overexposure to gas vapors include:
- Respiratory problems such as coughing and trouble breathing
- Rash from skin contact with gasoline
- Irritation or burning in the eyes from gas splashes
- Weakness, numbness in arms and legs, or burning sensation
- Rapid heart beat
- Nausea or vomiting
If an employee experiences any symptoms from inhaling gas vapors, he or she should get to fresh air immediately. If symptoms persist, the employee should seek medical treatment right away. If an employee becomes unconscious from breathing gas vapors, co-workers should call 911 or other emergency response number immediately.
Safety Centre is committed to Industrial Safety for the Healthcare, Manufacturing, Marine, Oil and Gas industries etc. Our Fall protection, Confined Space, Hearing, Eye protection as well as other PPE’s are usable in Oil and Gas, On/Offshore, Healthcare, Construction, Mining, Healthcare, Aviation etc. Do not hesitate to contact us
www.safetycentre.ng email@example.com Tel: +234 9057666623/25/26
National Industrial Safety Council of Nigeria (NISCN) is Nigeria’s first and oldest safety organization. It is a tripartite consultative Occupational Safety and Health Council which was established May 26th 1964 by a Federal Government cabinet decision under the sponsorship of the Federal Ministry of Labor and Employment in line with ILO Convention 187 (Promotional Framework for Occupational Safety and Health Convention.