An emergency procedure is a plan of action to be followed in the event of an emergency. The procedure should be designed to minimize the risk to life and property and should be specific to the type of emergency that may occur. Common types of emergencies that may require an emergency procedure include fire, flood, earthquake, tornado, and chemical spill. The procedure should be tailored to the specific emergency and should be well-documented and rehearsed so that everyone knows what to do in the event of an emergency.
Quick and effective action may help to ease the situation and reduce the consequences. However, in emergencies, people are more likely to respond reliably if they:
- are well trained and competent
- take part in regular and realistic practice
- have clearly agreed, recorded, and rehearsed plans, actions, and responsibilities
Reasons Why Is It Important To Practice Emergency Procedures?
Emergency response or crisis management training is conducted to prepare facility occupants for emergencies. The training is crucial to ensure that all people understand what to do and when to act to avoid further disruption of business operations. Without training, staff may become panicked; with training, they will act appropriately and return to work as soon as possible. Ideally, all employees in a company will receive emergency preparedness training to learn the protective protocol for security and life safety.
The importance of practicing emergency procedures are:
- In a critical emergency, there is little time to plan and no time to learn. An emergency procedure is only as effective as the people who execute it quickly and correctly. By rehearsing a response to potential or actual danger, employees can remove some of the mystery and apprehension of an incident, thereby enabling them to respond more effectively if an emergency threatens. Regular practice also reveals holes in the procedure that can be improved before they’re needed for real.
- It is important to practice emergency procedures because this ensures that everyone is prepared for the worst. When an emergency strikes, being able to quickly react is crucial.
- Performing emergency procedures helps develop confidence and familiarity with the equipment and cabin features. Knowing what to expect in advance also minimizes anxiety when an actual emergency occurs.
- Emergency procedures help you feel more comfortable in the air and prepare you for unexpected conditions. Being prepared for emergencies not only enables you to quickly respond but also helps to relieve the stress associated with workplace safety procedures.
- It is the responsibility of all employees in the organization to practice emergency procedures that are provided to them. As employers, it is important that we do our best to ensure the safety of our employees and those around us. We must ensure safe working conditions and practices that will minimize the chance of accidents occurring in the workplace.
- A fire extinguisher is a critical part of an emergency preparedness plan and it’s important to know how to use one. It’s helpful to practice emergency procedures before they are needed.
- This type of practice offers the respondent a greater self-confidence to meet the dangerous situation. When staff member receives adequate crisis response training, they tend to feel more assured of their capabilities, and this sense of assuredness can promote feelings of confidence in their skills.
- This helps to determine the hazards and risks at work. This helps you to create a plan using the available resources, trained workers, and industry-best procedures, keeping in mind safety, the environment, and property, as well as the business continuity.
- Routine equipment checks and practice of emergency procedures are vital to be prepared for any situation at work.
- The workers can learn emergency procedures and call 911 immediately. They will be able to quickly find the right emergency contact numbers and contact the appropriate place to help them.
- Many decisions must be made quickly when an emergency occurs. It is easy for emergency personnel to deal with all situations as quickly as possible.
- It is important to practice emergency procedures regularly in order to identify any weaknesses in the current emergency system. This process can reveal weaknesses like a shortage of equipment, supplies, or trained personnel.
You can get more training from RCL Safety Centre thru https: www.safetycentre.ng/training_register
At RCL Safety Centre this training is also available in different Nigerian languages like PIDGIN,YORUBA,HAUSA AND IGBO
Our company (RCL Safety Centre) is an indigenous company dedicated to Health, Safety and Environment Training and Services.
We are technical partners of the National Industrial Safety Council of Nigeria (NISCN) as well as approved training partners of most major International Occupational Safety and Health organizations like NEBOSH, and corporate members of ISPON (Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria) with thousands of personnel trained in various areas till date.
For more information visit our website: www.safetycentre.ng
Contact us on: 08099700070, 09057666623 or 08164363532